Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1963 p1800, and the overdrive has stopped working,

Customer Question

I have a 1963 p1800, and the overdrive has stopped working, I'm not hugely mechanically minded, so I need to know if this is likely to be something I can tackle. I ve sorted points and distributer and speedo cable issues and have been told as it's an electric overdrive it's probably a component issue ? Any help and advise much appreciated. Ian
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Hello Ian,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shantel,No please continue, if you could still provide the advise I would be grateful. I am in no immediate hurry and have not sourced an answer anywhere else.Many thanksIan
Hello Ian,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello overdrive unit issues are usually electrical problemsthere's a solenoid ( 2 wire) unit on the side of the unit at the back that enables the solenoid on and off and this solenoid is switched directly by the overdrive switch via a protection / lockout switch to prevent it being selected in the lower gears and reverse the most likely problem is the lockout switch as these are exposed to gearbox oil which leaks into the switch over timeso trace the wiring back from the solenoid checking for damage and corrosion , using a meter to check that 12V is present with the ignition on, OD selected and the gear lever in 4th
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Matt, sorry I have been away and so hadn't seen the reply (they were struggling to find me an answer) I will give it a go, I presume the OD can lock out if I omit to switch it off and decelerate/change out of 4th ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the reason for the lockout switch is to protect the OD unit as its not strong enough to take the torque produced in the lower gears and also to prevent it being engaged in reverse as they don't like being turned backwards on a lot of cars the OD was switchable for 3rd and 4th