Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My v5 golf petrol cuts out emission comes up on dashboard

Customer Question

my v5 golf petrol cuts out emission comes up on dashboard workshop
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Ideally the next step will be to have the car plugged into a diagnostic device that can pull off the fualt codes and point directly to the faultthis may cost about £50-80 but will save a lot of timehowever as its an emisson related issue then 1st check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate. this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers and also inpsect the condition of the exhaust sensors and their wiring / connectors for damage and corrosion
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.