Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an XC60 and there is a loud high pitched screeching

Customer Question

I have an XC60 and there is a loud high pitched screeching sound, it sounds like it's coming from the left front of the car, ,sounds like metal on metal scratching, like when a train goes around a corner. It happens when I am driving,and the wheels are turning, not when stopped. I heard it a little yesterday, and today it has become louder and more apparent. Could you please advise?
Marc van Roosmalen
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Marc from your description I'd say that this is an issue with the brakes?I'd 1st strip the calipers down, remove the pads and clean out all the pad grooves and location in the caliper, smear a thin layer of copper grease on the metal back of the pads where they touch the piston and where they rub in the tracks of the calliper also clean the calliper tracks of debris and dust before re-fitting the pads. The copper grease won't melt under hi temps so DO NOT get it on the brake disc or friction face of the pads, it does however keep the brakes working smoothly and help reduce any squeal as it damps things out
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you