Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have a Volvo S40 diesel, 56 registration. When fuel gauge is

Customer Question

Have a Volvo S40 diesel, 56 registration. When fuel gauge is showing half to full have no problems. When the gauge is showing approx. 1/4 full the car for some unknown reason decides to lose power and stops. Leave for a few minutes starts up again with no problem then continue journey when the same problem arises yet again.
Put more fuel in tank and have no further problems, until the gauge reads again about 1/4 full. Had fuel filter replaced but problem still arises.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Michael S
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael I'd next try loosening off the fuel filler cap? as they have 1 way valve fitted to allow air into the tank as the fuel empties out and so preventing a vacuum being created so if the valve sticks the fuel pump will struggle to pull the fuel throughif loosening the cap helps then replace it with a new part
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you