Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Please help..I am looking at a Freelander I6,3.2L,non turbo,S80

Customer Question

Hi,please help..I am looking at a Freelander I6,3.2L,non turbo,S80 engine....It has 59K miles on,7x landrover services,and one owner.Lovely thing,lovely engine,But,i have a good ear,and at 3200rpm,just maintaining it,the very slightest increase in throttle induces a horrible rapping noise from the engine,you can do this stationary,the second you ease off a touch,its all quiet again.....Pretty sure its not pinking,not really enough load,but is the engine management allowing too much advance??....It sounds like little ends!!!....Scared to buy!!!....Any ideas??....Nigel.....
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Nigel if you were to add some octane booster into the fuel tank to see if the rattling / detonation goes away then this would answer the question however this isn't normal behaviour so I'd say the easiest route is just to find another example, before buying this one?