Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Volvo hard to start and won't rev up it will start

Customer Question

My Volvo hard to start and won't rev up it will start sassy start but won't rev up
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello can you tell me the model & engine fuel type please?also how many miles are on the car and when it was last serviced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mileage 120 000 miles and is 2.0 diesel 55 plate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bough it like this and I have no any service record
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please this is my first time of using this site but I am finding it deficult Becks all I have is what I have said my car is hard to start and please can you make it a bit Esser for me becos the ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ok if its not revving up then its likely to be a lack of fuel1st its worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.It may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you