Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Rear seat belt on volvo xc70 jammed rear seat now won't go

Customer Question

rear seat belt on volvo xc70 jammed rear seat now won't go up
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
The anchor point for the seatbelt is under the lowest part of the side bolster right under where the belt disappears between the seat bottom and the bolster. The side bolster is only held in by a wire bail on the top held in by a plastic receiver for it, and the lower end is held in place by a tab that slides into a spot on the body. To remove it, simply grasp the upper portion of the bolster and "pop" it outwards. Tilt it forward, and then lift the lower tab out of where it goes into the body. There will be a 14mm head bolt holding the seatbelt to the chassis. 13mm if the belt has been swapped out. Once you take that loose the seat will be able to come back up. Wiggle the belt a little when the seat is all the way up, and the belt should release again. Needless to say, until the button that keeps slack in the belt is replaced it will happen again. It's about a $3 part so it's a cheap fix.Sometimes you have to pull in and out on it several times to get it to release. There is also a possibility that the plastic button is stuck under the upper seat belt guide. If you can't wiggle it enough to get it to let loose, you'll have to take off that upper panel on the seat to figure out where that little button went. The seatbelts do sometimes jam, but it's rare. Usually it's that stupid little plastic button getting to where it shouldn't be or falling off entirely in the car somewhere