ls2gto2
ls2gto2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  volvo master technician
61695331

I have a volvo 1.8 petrol 2005 and has the emissions light

hi. i have a volvo 1.8 petrol 2005 and has the emissions light on and is smoking and burning oil. any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my local mechanic replaced the throttle body but with no results. he said that the engine might have to be open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he didn't check anything else
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, a master certified Volvo technician i will be happy to assist you with your vehicle.

What is the model of your Volvo?

Turbo or non turbo?

Does it smoke out of the exhaust?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he didn't check anything else. the model is 1.8 petrol b4184s11 engine model from 2005. is non turbo and it is smoking out of the exhaust
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model is s40
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! Do you know the fault code that is set in the engine control module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model is s40 . i dont know the code numbers but he checked and it was the throttle body that he replaced but without results
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine seem to run ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in low idle i feel the throttle slugish but at 2500 rpms it seems that it gives a boost. when i stopped the car theres always an intense odor. the car has only 156000 kms
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

any over heating? White smoke from the exhaust could indicate a failed headgasket.

Blue or black smoke is either fuel or oil related.

Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

If it is using oil, and dark colored smoke from the exhaust i would recommend starting with replacing the flame trap box.

The flame trap box, or PCV box is known for a internal blockage and will cause the problem you are experiencing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no over heating. sometimes in low idle it blows white smoke and when idling the smoke i guess is black and blue but its not very noticeable . you dont think that it might have something to do with piston rings or egr valve? i read that when pcv fails it causes other alerts like body throttle and egr valve
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

A failed egr valve will have a very rough idle, and run ok at higher speeds. But a failed EGR will not cause smoke from the exhaust.

Piston rings are possible but not as common.

The most common cause for smoke is the flame trap box. Also with a pcv system problem the engine will seem to run ok.

You can remove the spark plugs and inspect them if you suspect the rings are the problem. Also a compression check can be done. Low compression or worn out spark plugs can cause oil to bypass the rings and burn in the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your advice is to check the compression and clean the flame trap box. i will transmit that to my mechanic and soon i will tell you the results and if it worked. thanks
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 1 year ago.

That would be a very good place to start. Also inspect the spark plugs for being oil fouled. Sometimes the pcv passages can become plugged.

Let me know what you find