ls2gto2
ls2gto2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  volvo master technician
61695331

I have a volvo 1.8 petrol 2005 and has the emissions light

hi. i have a volvo 1.8 petrol 2005 and has the emissions light on and is smoking and burning oil. any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my local mechanic replaced the throttle body but with no results. he said that the engine might have to be open
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he didn't check anything else
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, a master certified Volvo technician i will be happy to assist you with your vehicle.

What is the model of your Volvo?

Turbo or non turbo?

Does it smoke out of the exhaust?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he didn't check anything else. the model is 1.8 petrol b4184s11 engine model from 2005. is non turbo and it is smoking out of the exhaust
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the model is s40
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 10 months ago.

Thank you! Do you know the fault code that is set in the engine control module?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the model is s40 . i dont know the code numbers but he checked and it was the throttle body that he replaced but without results
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 10 months ago.

Does the engine seem to run ok?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
in low idle i feel the throttle slugish but at 2500 rpms it seems that it gives a boost. when i stopped the car theres always an intense odor. the car has only 156000 kms
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 10 months ago.

any over heating? White smoke from the exhaust could indicate a failed headgasket.

Blue or black smoke is either fuel or oil related.

Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 10 months ago.

If it is using oil, and dark colored smoke from the exhaust i would recommend starting with replacing the flame trap box.

The flame trap box, or PCV box is known for a internal blockage and will cause the problem you are experiencing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no over heating. sometimes in low idle it blows white smoke and when idling the smoke i guess is black and blue but its not very noticeable . you dont think that it might have something to do with piston rings or egr valve? i read that when pcv fails it causes other alerts like body throttle and egr valve
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 10 months ago.

A failed egr valve will have a very rough idle, and run ok at higher speeds. But a failed EGR will not cause smoke from the exhaust.

Piston rings are possible but not as common.

The most common cause for smoke is the flame trap box. Also with a pcv system problem the engine will seem to run ok.

You can remove the spark plugs and inspect them if you suspect the rings are the problem. Also a compression check can be done. Low compression or worn out spark plugs can cause oil to bypass the rings and burn in the engine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
your advice is to check the compression and clean the flame trap box. i will transmit that to my mechanic and soon i will tell you the results and if it worked. thanks
Expert:  ls2gto2 replied 10 months ago.

That would be a very good place to start. Also inspect the spark plugs for being oil fouled. Sometimes the pcv passages can become plugged.

Let me know what you find

ls2gto2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: volvo master technician