Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician and Volvo enthusiast
21364095

I have a 2010 Volvo C70 with climate control, it blows

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Volvo C70 with climate control, it blows coolish but never really brings the temperature down. The fan runs continuously on auto. It had a new condenser and a recharge last August.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.

If the system is cool but not cold, we would still be suspicious of your pressures in the system, either due to low charge condition or a blockage.
What you would need to do at this point would be to do a full evacuation and see exactly how much refrigerant is in there to begin with and make sure it is within 2-4% of specification. When you start hitting 7-10% variance the cooling will be impacted, so "Close" is not good enough... it needs to be machine charged.
If the charge amount is proper, we will want to do a 30 minutes vacuum on the system to make sure any trapped moisture is boiled off. Then charge the system back to spec.
Once charged, the system pressures will tell the story....

If you have for example equally low pressures (low side 20 high side 100), and the charge level is right, we would know the pump is weak.

If you have very low low side (0-20) and high high side (350+) we would suspect either a stuck expansion valve or a blockage in the drier/condenser.
If your pressures are spot on (depends on environmental conditions, but we'll say a good starting point would be 35-55 low side, 190-290 high side), then we would know there is an issue with the actual air direction/blend door operation in the dash (AC is likely getting cool, but air exiting the vents is being warmed back up).