Enes
Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.
20168386

Just replaced ignition barrel on my 2003 volvoxc70 the key

just replaced ignition barrel on my 2003 volvoxc70 the key woul not go past 2nd position, i replaced it with a identical unit and took the key s apart and swopped the parts for the coded part but it will not start it says trie again, can you help me please. Is there any other parts on the barrel i need to switch.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

problem is you cant swap parts key is stored in many modules in car as security if the modules cant confirm programmed key to the vin of car it will not start ever

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

if you can please rate answer positive we stay locked thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply Enes, as an emergency as I need the Volvo for work I loosened the plate on the bottom of the original barrel and found a small rectangular piece of metal.I fixed the plate again and found the lock works,i hope this was the thing stopping the key turning fully, all the best Adrian.l