Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Bus has been standing for over 2 years now what repairs are

Customer Question

bus has been standing for over 2 years now what repairs are needed to be attended to
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no answer yet
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

any vehicle thats been sat for this long may need considerable work as unless the engine has been regularly started it may have seized pistons - so 1st thing to check is will the engine turn over by hand -

Also worth draining off the engine and gearbox oil and filling with fresh as these too will have degraded over time.

Also check the condition of any auxiliary drive belts as the rubber will have degraded

and you're going to need to change the battery

Any fuel thats in the tank will be very stale so ideally drain it off fit a new filter and brim the tank with fresh to dilute whats left behind.

If the bus has been sat on its wheels / tyres all this time the tyre will very likely need replacing as the rubber will have taken a set and they won't run true. You may get away with just driving it around for a few days but expect a lot of vibration during this period

brakes will certainly need fresh fluid and don't be surprised if the calipers are seized the system should be bled with fresh fluid at the very least before driving

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you