Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

What is most common fault engine management fault code PO505

Customer Question

What is most common fault engine management fault code PO505 on 1999/2000 V70 2.5 classic estate?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

P505 = Idle air ontrol system

1st thing to check is that the throttle is opening and closing smoothly

if you rerove the air intake pipe so you can see the throttle butterfly and then with the ignition on but engine off have your assistant slowly push down on the accelerator and the throttle should open smoothly with no sudden movement

if this is ok then there's an electronic valve on the air intake pipe just before the throttle body. it's used to vent engine fumes back into the intake and can stick open

if you can blow through it with the ignition off then it will need replacing or try blasting some brake cleaner through it 1st to see if it frees off

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you