Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Car will not move in any gear. Car has been parked for 2

Customer Question

Car will not move in any gear. Car has been parked for 2 weeks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

is this a manual or auto-matic transmission?

also can you push the car to see if it rolls?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Manual. Yes car will roll
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Ok in that case it sounds like the clutch may either be broken or the gearbox input shaft is broken, or a driveshaft is broken or the clutch is stuck on, or it could just be the gear linkage is broken / come loose so you can't select any gears

if the clutch pedal feels unusual or has high resistance this gives weight to the fact its stuck on or something has broken up

so if that feels OK I'd next remove the air box on the engine so you can see the gear linkage and have your assistant move the gear lever inot each gear whilst you watch the linkage to see that its moving on the gearbox

If this is OK again have your assistant put it into gear and slowly lift the clutch and turn the steering to full lock so you can see the driveshaft to see if either end of the shaft is moving - do this for both sides

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you