Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Volvo v40 seems to looses power at times. Today

Customer Question

Hi my Volvo v40 seems to looses power at times. Today amtortoise appeared on the screen what's the problem?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 days ago.

if you're getting the reduced performance light on ( humorous tortoise) then there must be a stored fault in the ECU

so ideally the next step is to plug in a scan tool to pull off the fault code and so point to the fault

from your description this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.