Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Do I need to change my automatic gearbox oil. 2004 car

Hi do I need to change my automatic gearbox oil. 2004 car petrol 70000 miles. Many thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Without knowing the model of volvo you have..then i can only asume based on the age and mileage you've stated above..that in my opinion if its reached 70,000miles then its kind of little over the recommended mileage change. id say a good time for automatic fluid changes on these would be anywhere around every 50-60,000miles..i do know volvo recommend 50,000miles changes on newer ones..so it kind of makes sense if your car hasnt had a automatic fluid change yet in all the time you've had it..then it would be good time to do one maybe..hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Was told it was a sealed for life auto box ?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Sealed for life doesnt mean you cant change the oil...oil does actually degrade over time or losses it properties so there is still the ability to change it on any sealed for life autobox...you can actually still flush sealed box via the transmission oil cooler lines using using an automatic flush and fluid exchanger machine.which ive used myself many a time even on sealed boxes!! without any issue what so ever.some can use specialised pressure equipment and then flush and refill..i pretty sure what ever model of volvo you have aorund 2004 they will have oil pan anyway.that can be removed to access the valve block/filter element..which essentially is "partial" fluid change anyway...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.