Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a 2011 xc90 D5 200 when I start it it’s ticking over

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2011 xc90 D5 200 when I start it it’s ticking over at 1500rpm if you apply the brake the Rev drop also it said the throttle pedal was a fault on diagnostic but after trying a new one it made no difference. The garage think it’s some sort of air leak/intake but can’t find anything is this a comman problem?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a vacuum leak on the engine.This can be caused by hard to see leaks like the intake gaskets leaking.What needs to be done is to have the engine inspected for any vacuum leaks.Any leaks found will then need repaired.If no leaks are found visually then a smoke machine is needed to inject smoke into the intake to locate any hard to see leaks like intake gaskets needing replaced.This needs to be done to locate the source of the leak then repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete