Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Volvo XC60, I'm currently over my mileage on my pcp

I have a Volvo XC60, I'm currently over my mileage on my pcp plan.
If I get my mileage changed can this be picked up when I et the car serviced?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

Then that would be refered to as clocking a car..if you have someone roll back the mileage from its actual recorded mileage. im asuming this is a fairly new car so wont be any details on MOT as of yet unless over 3 yrs old in which mileage is recorded there too..the service details will likely be on a database with Volvo with all the mileage and what was carried out aswell as in paper form for your own records or to include with the cars documents..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I don't go below the last logged mileage they won't be able to tell?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

In a sense no..but essentially still deemed as fraud..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ahhh I see it doesn't say that on the websites when I looked.
I just wondered if it was detectable if I take it for a service after the mileage has been clocked.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

If your rolling back the recorded mileage on the cluster to previous point ie:- to mileage when it was last serviced. then thats fraud/clocking as your giving the impression the car has done said miles or virtually none at all from the mileage stated on the previous service schedule when in reality its actually done way more...of course if you clock it back to mileage on the last service sheet proffessionally..and cars taken in for service then its likely in most circumstanses it will probably go straight through..the only implications i can see from this is on the next owner with their own service schedules/timing belt renewal times if fitted etc..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I was going to roll it back it wouldn't be to the last service it would just be so I didn't incure any charges for going over my mileage.
So I was just wondering if I did do that if Volvo would be able to tell that I had done so when it goes in for its service.Also my oil light came on I refilled the oil but the oil message won't disappear do I need to reset anything?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Ok...its pretty unlikely they would detect it..to be honest..

try below..if it still fails then you need to have it done diagnostically.normally the dealer would do this after every service..

• Turn the ignition key to position I without starting the engine, If your Volvo XC60 has push-button start, press the “Start” button without touching the brake pedal.
  • Select Trip 2/ T2 by press trip odometer reset button
  • Press and hold the “OK” button on the left side steering wheel stalk
  • Next press and hold the ignition start button
  • Keep hold both button until the “i” flashes on the display, at which point release both buttons