Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a s4 gt 19505 and the wifi toggle switch will not

hi i have a s4 gt 19505 and the wifi toggle switch will not turn on
Hi there and welcomeCan you please go to Settings, Applications.Swipe to the list All and locate Google Services Framework.Press it and press Clear Data.Restart the phone and tell me if the Wifi switch will then turn on please.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you mean go to application manager?
yes please, they word it differently at times depending on the firmware you have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok just cleared gsf and about to restart
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
restarting now
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
restarted and pressed the wifi symbol
and the results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok pressed the symbol and tried the toggle. still not switching on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still not switching on
ok, one of 2 things, the wifi adapter has faulted or the firmware is corrupt.We will need to do a hard reset. This will remove all data on the phone and return it to new, but this cannot be avoided (so first backup anything you need first).Then go to Settings, Backup & Reset, Factory ResetLet the reset complete and setup the phone like when you first received it and tell me if the wifi is now working please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but is there any way of doing this without losing my data
no, you cannot avoid the loss of data with a reset
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a way of backing up before reset
yes, this is why I indicated you have to backup your data first.So copy off any data by connecting it to your computer then do the reset.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok im in kies now and back up choice doesnt show saving apps like whatsapp etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i copy data out of kies
No you cannot back these up, only what Kies indicates
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have a lot of work items on whatsapp that i need to keep. I am currently working in sierra leone and have been working in the ebola crisis. is there absolutely no way of getting the wifi to reset without a full reset. someone told me about trying a new modem program for the phone??
No, we have to do this step. A modem program does not make any sense sorry... This is at a firmware / hardware level. I would not be having you do this if there was no need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. is there a process where you can turn the phone back in time like you can with a windows computer?
System recovery, no there is not, else we would be doing that instead Nick.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok how do i take the data from my phone first
you back it up via Kies, like you were doing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
backing up now.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The internet works on mobile data does this make a difference?
No, two different areas of the phone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry. i am trying to figure out how i can back all of my whatsapp info before reset. Need this for work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on kies it says backing up allication and a symbol that is a square with smaller squares inside. Does this mean apps?
No it wont, but if you have mobile data go to Whatsapp, Settings, Chat and there you can choose to do a backup to Google Drive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I will have to do this where I have telephone signal. Unfortunately that isnt here. I will need to do that before i do the reset. So once ths has been done, all i need to do is go to settings, backup and reset, reset?
Correct, and then you have one of two outcomes.It works again which means it was the firmware that had to be reloaded.Or it still does not work which means you will need to replace the phone as the wifi module on the mainboard has failed and would need replacing.It is one of these reasons and you will only know once the reset is done.I have marked the question to never close, so any issues, let me know hereIf you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
any reason why the phone may get so hot? would this be related
yes, that can point to the mainboard faulting, which is why the wifi adapter faults.Or it is just running a lot of processing. The phones can get a bit hot, especially if the local temperature is hot there.But you will only know this once the reset is done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for your help. fingers crossed it is firmware.Nick
Will do Nick, though concerned about the temperature...Let me know if you have any problems and please remember the service rating via the stars at the top then submit please.Thank you