Richard, Android Engineer
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

My wife is using a Samsung GT-N8020 since years. For about a

Customer Question

My wife is using a Samsung GT-N8020 since years. For about a week it's not starting anymore but stuck with the flashing Samsung logo. Kies could not detect it and all tries to flash a new ROM (tried 4.1 and 4.4 versions from T-Mobile and Vodafone Germany) via Odin (3.09) did fail.
Any suggestion?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happened when you tried to flash the Rom?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it says FAIL after trying to write
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Ok, then based on this the cause of the issue is clear.

It is the internal memory that has faulted. A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would it make sense to wipe the NAND memory?
That's something I didn't test
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't reach the recovery mode, it's not showing up, only the OS download page (Odin)
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

you cannot wipe it as it is not accessible.

The memory is what has failed and this is why you also cannot get to recovery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In Odin there's a checkbox for that and it detects the com port the device is attached to but I only tried to overwrite the existing ROM. But likely you're right, if it's the memory it's dead
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

It is the memory and it is dead, it is why it will not start, will not get to recovery nor will flash from Odin.