Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer&part of the CyanogenDev team
57442719

I have a new Galaxy S8 and am trying to get Outlook contacts

Customer Question

I have a new Galaxy S8 and am trying to get Outlook contacts and calendar information to sync between my phone and my Outlook account. I installed Smart Switch on my Windows 10/Pro PC and Smart Switch (PC) tells me there is nothing to sync. When I try to select preferences, everything is shaded-out but the boxes at the header and selecting one of them yields (PC/ss) : "Cannot retrieve folder information due to an issue in Outlook. Please check the program and try again. Tried working with Samsung and they wanted me to access https://d2ogrndh9skxtm.cloudfront.net/32/SmartSwitchPC_SupportToolForQA.zip but Norton screams back to tell me it's an unsafe site. Outlook is not installed on the phone; email is coming through the Samsung email app and Outlook email transfers seamlessly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to solve your problem.

Smart Switch is the Samsung app for transferring contacts and calendars from an old smartphone to a new Galaxy smartphone on a one-time basis. It is not designed to sync contacts and calendars from a pc to a smartphone.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually, there is a Windows (and Mac) version whose specific task is to sync Outlook calendar, to-do list and contacts to their phones. My question centered on why the SmartSeitch pc app was having problems accessing the data. I have since realized that I can get the app yo work iff (I have an EE degree from NC State U and a MS in Computer Engineering from the University of Cincinnati (retired for 10 years now) and so I am guessing you know iff) I shut down Outlook and do the sync. It is obviously a permission issue yet I seem to be the only person having this problem as there are many stories on the Internet praising Smart Switch for the calendar/to-do/contacts Syncing from a pc to their Galaxy S8.

I will respond to this iff you will allow me to install this version of Smart Switch on my computer. There certainly is a need for an app that does this. I have been unsuccessful at syncing my desktop Outlook to my mobile Android.

I only remember one professor in graduate school who used iff (= if and only if). He was my favorite. The course was Statistical Communication Theory. I got an A, but I guess if I really got anything out of it, I would have invented noise-canceling headphones instead of Prof. Bose (who I had for Into. to Circuit Theory as an undergrad at MIT).

The first thing I noticed is that Smart Switch for PC is advertised to transfer contacts, calendars, etc. This implies that its purpose is a one-time transfer, not a continuous or periodic sync function.

I am having problems with my operating system; consequently, I cannot download the Smart Switch application.