JamesI
JamesI, Mobile device engineer
Experience:  I have provided support for a range of Android devices including Tablets, TV and Phones.
75967336

Why does my memory keep running out but my storage is fine.

Why does my memory keep running out but my storage is fine. Why does it have both on the Samsung Tab A 10.1 tablet.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

In most cases memory and storage are deemed two different things, memory is normally referred to as RAM (this is storage used to hold software and data which is being processed by the device, eg an open application) storage on the other hand is designed to be the memory which is persistent and where you store programs and data you wish to retrain for future use.

So in an example where you have four apps open, and go to open another app, or maybe do something in the app which requires to load more data into the RAM - such as opening another tab in a web browser, you may get a message about insufficient memory, while still having GB of free storage.

There are a number of things we can do to improve the situation, however to better understand you specific case when are you encountering this messages (what are you doing at the time on the device)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maybe browsing or reading the newspapers

Ok, and this would be using a web browser, if so which one and how many tabs would you have open on it at once.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2 or 3 maybe, should I close them down after I use them, will that fix the problem?

2 or 3 shouldnt pose an issue if they all had videos on that may be abit of load, more likely it could be other 'back ground apps' running.

Ideally when you run an app its good practice to close it after you finish, as this can take up alot of memory, since when you press the home key the app your using stays in memory until you go and manually close it.

Secondly, powering off (not just placing the tablet on sleep) once a week is good practice to help improve performance.

Have a go over the next few days closing unused tabs and unwanted apps after you finish with them, and see if the fault still occurs.

Should this not resolve your issue we can perform some further diagnostics, I await to hear how you get on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much