Cris
Cris, Computer Expert
Experience:  4yrs. experience with Android phone and tablets.
10156100

Can you help me with a question about available space on my

Customer Question

Can you help me with a question about available space on my Samsung Galaxy J6?
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Galaxy?
Customer: Android
JA: How long has this been going on with your Galaxy? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have:
Deleted all of my photos.
- Have a few apps, everything else that I could get rid of I have.
- When I clicked on the storage folder deleted ALL files
- Through settings I went to storage and clicked “clean now”; but that only got rid of a small amount.I don't have any permanent music or things like that on my phone. The apps I have:
- Whatsapp
- Facebook messenger
- Reddit
- Podbean
- Syft (it’s an app to get shift work)
- BBC iPlayer (it’s an English channel but I have no downloaded episodes)
- Interval timer (it’s just a fancy stop watch).
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just do not understand, after I have deleted so much, why my phone still has so little space on it!
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 12 days ago.

Expert:  Cris replied 12 days ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris. Sorry to hear about your issue I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Cris replied 12 days ago.

I would assume your your phone is about 16GB which would be very minimal about half of that goes to the Android Operating System and Samsung Apps which cannot be removed from the phone. The you have apps that also accumulate data. For instance on Whatsapp if you are sending/receiving pictures and videos these files are saving onto your device then taking up space.

You can clear the Cache and Storage for this app. By going to Settings>Apps then locating WhatsApp and clearing the cache and storage. You can do this for other apps but it may require you to sign back in if there is account associated with the app. If you are saving pictures and videos that will take up space. I would recommend installing Google Photos this will sync all the photos to your Google account then you can remove them. All the pictures are synced to the Cloud and then can be accessed from any device.

Let me know if this answers your question or if you have any further questions. Thank you, Cris.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Cris! Thanks for your feedback regarding my phone, shall try clearing the cache. You are correct; I do only have 16GB. Is there any way to increase this (technologically, paying for more, etc)?
Expert:  Cris replied 11 days ago.

Well you can add a micro SD card to your phone and have pictures and videos save onto it instead of the phone that would help with storage. But with 16GB of on-board storage you are limited since about half that storage goes to the Android operating system and apps installed.