Ashik
Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

I have inserted a new blank microsd card into my Galaxy tab

I have inserted a new blank microsd card into my Galaxy tab A which is running version android version 7.1.1. When I navigate to sttings, device maintenance,storage, sd card, clcik the 3 dots at the top left hand corner of the screen, select storage settings, sd card, format; I only get the option to format the sd card as portable storage. Why do I not get the option to fromat the casrd as internal storage so that I can save more apps to the card?
JA: Which software or app can I help with?
Customer: android 7.1.1 on a galxaxy tab A
JA: What have you tried so far with your software?
Customer: see my original message above
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly

Your Tab and most of all the phones don't allow you to use the SD card as internal storage. This is to prevent unauthorized access to data on the SD card by the apps. Some apps do allow you to save data or move to SD card. Open Settings > Apps and then select the app and see if you can find Move to SD option there. If so, then you can do it.

If that didn't work, then open Play Store search App2SD or AppMgr and see if you can use to transfer apps data to the SD card.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please note, I can only give you truthful information which you may or may not like but it is truthful information to your question. If you are upset at your situation but not by the quality of my answer, please consider rating positively as I am only a messenger. If you simply want more information or continued help, please let me know - I am here to help you to your satisfaction. If you have other concerns, reply and let me know. I am here to make sure you are satisfied.

Also, if you get an offer for a secure remote for an additional amount, please ignore it as it is an automatic offer from this site and not applicable to this question

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Are you saying that the issue is caused by restrictions set by Samsung on the Galaxy A tablet? Do you know which tablets do allow the user to use an sd card as internal storage?

No, this is a restriction on Android OS itself