Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

Does an original print in good condition of J.Brethertons

Does an original print in good condition of J.Bretherton's the Battle of the Cataplasm dated 1773 have any value ?
Hi There~

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

You print, the Battle of the Cataplasm was published by J. Bretherton in 1773. The engraving was done by the artist Henry Bunbury. It was produced as an illustration in a later edition of one of the nine volumes of the humorous books written by Laurence Sterne, entitled The Life & Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.

On today’s market, this late 18th century original satirical print sells for 100GBP – 200GBP at auction. The image retails for 430GBP and the insurance, or replacement value would be 500GBP.

Feel free if you have further questions about your print.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Nora,

Many thanks for your excellent and very informative response to my query.I have another print entitled ' the Damnation of Obadiah ' with the same publisher/engraver dated Feb.1773. I understand your estimate of the print at auction value but what do you mean by the ' image ' which has a higher value ? Excuse my ignorance on this.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

The word image = your print. My apologies for the confusion.

There were four prints done by Brethertons for the Tristam Shandy book, so your other print, The Damnation of Obadiah, would have the same value as your Cataplasm print.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on your prints.

Sincerely,
Nora
Hi Jeremy~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future. When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, watches, sewing machines and firearms.

Sincerely,
Nora