Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have a first edition copy of Bertram Mitfords "The word of

I have a first edition copy of Bertram Mitfords "The word of the Sorceress".It's dated 1902 & published by Hutchinson.It had no covers when I got it so I had it rebound.The edges of each page are embossed with a gold coloured fleur type pattern.Is this anything special?
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send images of the title and publisher page(s).
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've just wasted a half hour trying to get my photos on here but it doesn't work,even with your fancy pictures & instructions.If you want them,just give me an ordinary e-mail address I CAN reply to & I will send them.Otherwise,we might as call it a day.

Hello Barry,
Your photos are indeed attached here.
Please let me know if you would like to continue.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional image.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nora,

Yes I would like you to tell me what you can about this book please.I don't know why the photos doubled up but I think the most unusual thing about it is this embossed pages.

Certainly, will do.
Hi Barry,
The fore-edge design on your book should reveal a painting.
If you hold the book a way that you can get that edge to fan a little at an angle, the painting should show.
If you could please open on the link below, you will see a moving picture example of a painting revealed on the fore-edge:
https://msuprovenance.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/reveal2.gif
Please let me know if you are able to access that link and see an example.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry,however intriguing I would like this to be,I can't get it to do anythingbut flex the same fleur type pattern.

Hi Barry,
Thank you for checking.
Without a fore-edge painting revealing itself, your book instead has a gauffered-edge.
Here is a link for you defining a gauffered edge and how it is executed on books:
http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt1504.html
The book itself is printed on laid paper.
Although it is a book that was published in 1902 it was printed and edge decorated in an old German manner from the 17th century. A touch of refined printing for books.
The Word of the Sorceress, is 4th in a series of Anglo-Zulu adventure theme titles by Bertram Mitford including The King’s Assegai, The White Shield, The Induna’s Wife. Your copy with new binding that was published in 1902 by Hutchinson & Co would sell for a high retail of $200 - $300 on today’s market.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Hi Barry~
Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora