Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019

I wonder if you could give me your kind opinion on this

I wonder if you could give me your kind opinion on this figurine of a lady holding a letter. She is heavy and great quality and in superb condition and stands an impressive 10 1/4 inches tall. There is a makers mark but I cannot make it out. Many thanks, Sue

This is a Meissen-type porcelain figural, however the image of the maker mark you mention is not showing here on my end. Please send a photo of the mark at your convenience and the approximate height of this as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,
Sorry about that. These are the best images I can get - mark is in blue. Hope you are able to enlarge the pics. She is 10 1/4 inches tall. Best wishes Sue

Thank you for the image. To clarify, she is hollow and there is a brass tone metal ring along the bottom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,
Yes that is true in both cases

Thank you for the additional information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,
There is no rush but was wondering if you have managed to track this lady down?
Best wishes, Sue

Hi Sue,

My apologies for the delay, as I have not made a match to this piece. The 'mark' appears to just be a firing flaw and not an actual maker stamp.

This is done in the manner of 18th century German Meissen and English Chelsea Bow wares, however her hairstyle is from later in the 19th century and the surface application and the ringed opening on the underside are 20th century. This was possibly a 'stash away' container, to hold valuables and it appears there may have been a cover that could slide over the hole on the underside. In terms of value, it could garner several hundred, however you can ask any price you please on any item you own, the key factor being finding a buyer at your pricepoint.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.