Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I just want some help with an antique box in my possession

Customer Question

Hi, I just want some help with an antique box in my possession of the name of Armadale thistle lodge dated 1860, the box is in its original state and is full of documentation and other interesting medals, I believe it originated from Scotland
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.
Do you have pictures you can send?
.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.

Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are no images of the Box. I thought your question was about an Antique Box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have send you pictures of the box n its content
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know the value of the box and the things it content

What exactly is in the Box? There is not a picture of the box here. I only see some papers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Documentation about free gardeners, some medals and two set of old glasses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the papers could be of value to the free gardeners society in Scotland
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that free gardeners was a society that helped the poor in the past
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somethings similar to the Freemason some kind of secret hand shake and ceremonies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can value the box but, there are too many items in the box to do in one question. The medals alone look to be 14 or 15 of them. But, I can value the antique box on this question if you like then you will need to submit a new question for some of the medals. The other things would need to be broken up into other questions. If that is ok with you.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would appreciate if you could value the box on the information I have provided, many thanks Glenda

This would be for the box only, if that is ok with you? I would need to see the box in a full picture so I can see what the box looks like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the box could you give me an estimate of the items as well I know there is a lot of, u are the expert Glenda

I can value the box, on this question and give you a general idea of what the contents might sell for if you sold them in one lot. But, I cannot value each item separate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's fine, thx

.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Antique Box, marked Armadale Thistle Lodge circa: 1860's, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $400.00-600.00, the contents to include the medals -

$500.00-575.00 medals sell for an average of $15.00-25.00 each depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this, so I can get rated, then compensated from the site for my time.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda, I would like to know a bit more about the box, the history and the meaning of it, thx

From what I found it is a kindling box, that was used in the lodge. They kept this by the fireplace. The lodge was locate in Armadale, West Lothian in Scotland during the 1800's. There is not much more history then that. You can find a lot of history for the town of Armadale, there seems to have been a well known football club there.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda, I already knw all these information I would like to know more about these lodges n if there are still some out there, if u can find me a good buyer for decent price I willing to share some of the profit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I promise I will give you an excellent rating once the matter is slove, many thx

Good Morning

Merry Christmas to you.

As far as I can find the Thistle Lodge is still there but it is the Free Gardeners Friendly Society Lodge 'Thistle', Armadale, no 17 Linlithgow nd. Open: NAS cat ref FS4/1027. This link is a great place for the history:

http://www.historyshelf.org/shelf/free/index.php.

I cannot give a specific person that might buy this box, we are not allowed to give person or persons that purchase items from customers we appraise. That is against the ethics of the Appraisal Organizations and not allowed by the site, sorry. We can only recommend sites to sell from. If this were mine I would list it on Ebay they have the largest market of shoppers, coming from all over the world.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.