Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have what I believe to be a iv silver vinaigrette. Inside

Hi I have what I believe to be a George iv silver vinaigrette. Inside there is an enscription that says Sir George Kinlock of Kinloch. I have looked him up and he was a politician who died in 1833. I wondered if it could be worth something given it appears to have belonged to him

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't cleaned it but it is in great condition.

Thank you for the images, however I would need to see more clear, in-focus close up images in oder to properly assess this for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are these any better

They would please need to be more in focus and more close up.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry I cant focus it any better

These work, thank you - please allow me some time to write your assessment.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Your sterling silver vinaigrette was produced in Edinburgh, Scotland by ***** ***** in 1819.

The inscription with prior owner's name would help sale-ability in this case. It is provenance, or history of prior ownership. However it will not add tremendously to the overall sale value.

Your antique Georgian sterling vinaigrette could sell for 500GBP - 940GBP on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Nora. Should I clean it or leave it as it is

You are very welcome, my pleasure to be of help to you here.

With sterling silver it is perfectly acceptable and preferred to polish the silver.

(as a side note, do not polish or clean the surface of bronze).

It is best to use a polishing cloth instead of a cream. They can easily be purchased as big box stores - or if you take it to a local jeweler, they may polish it up at no charge for you.

~Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora