Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I was at an auction last week and bought a twelve place

Hello, I was at an auction last week and bought a twelve place Mapping and Webb cutlery and carving set. It consists of stainless steel bone handled knives and starter knives and the same in carving knife,
sharpening rod and meat fork, all marked as 'Mapping and Webb Ltd'. . However, my main interest lies in the rest of it, starter/dessert forks, eating forks, soup spoons, dessert spoons and teaspoons all 'Mappin and Webb Mappin Plate A'. Then there are serving spoons marked 'Mappin and Webb Princes Plate W.I have found that the knives and carving set are likely a later addition and that the A on the Mappin Plate is the second grade of silver plate (2g per dessert spoon). But I can't find anything on the Prices Plate W. Can you help with this and possible dates for each section of the set I've described. I'm guessing some of it could be pre 1913 but probably way off with this.Thanks , Iain
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please find that I have uploaded some photos to show the stamps/engraving on the cutlery.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I have now managed to find that the cutlery is from the Pembury range. Are you able to give an age range for when this was in production?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

The English registry number in the photos indicates this was made in 1918.

Your canteen of plated cutlery by Mappin & Webb could sell for up to 250GBP on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. The best I could come up with was around 1913 -18 so nice to get confirmation. I have since found individual pieces selling for £9.95 each. Either way, a bargain at £82

You are welcome and thank you for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records. You can ask any price you please on any item you own, the key factor being finding a buyer at your pricepoint.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora