Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I have a Winstanley Jointed Cat and would like to know how

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Winstanley Jointed Cat and would like to know how much it is worth?
Thanks Paul
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 5 months ago.

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

What size is the cat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, I don't have any information with me until tomorrow.

Ok, just let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will do. Thank you

You are welcome

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
15.5 inches from the top of the ear to the bottom of the toes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im trying to send you 6 pictures.
Theres damage in the left arm as shown in picture.

Is your cat marked?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cant see anything
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you know where it would be marked?

It would be marked on the back of the head but, not all of these were marked.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ive just looked.
No mark

.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Antique Winstanley Jointed Cat ( made by Jenny Winstanley who made these for over 40 years,) has an estimated value on the current market for an average of £75.00-100.00 Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that it?

What do you mean?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ive already googled Winstanley cats and know they sell between £25 - £75 but i cant find any information about Winstanley jointed cat apart from only 2 dozen made. Very sort after, so i would of thought they was worth more and was hoping someone on Just answer would know.

Hello'

I do know and that is the value that I gave you. A couple years ago they used to sell some higher then this. The poor economies have taken a toll on items such as this. I am sorry the value is not more then it is. But, this is the recorded values of actual sales over the past 12 months, as recorded by the most current data bases we pay to access. Also tracking sales on the internet. This amount is just what one could have sold for, this does not mean you cannot sale yours for as much as you want to, it is very possible you would sell yours very much higher.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thats more information in the last message than the message before.
Thanks for your help.

I am not sure I understand, in your question you wanted to know how much it was worth. That is what I answered. I did not realize you would want to know why they are that value. I apologize, if I had known you wanted that I would have included that in my first answer.

.
Glenda,

.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
For £26 i was hoping for more information than i can find myself on Google.

I am sorry I did not provide what you were wanting in my original answer but, your question that I saw said this

"Hi, I have a Winstanley Jointed Cat and would like to know how much it is worth?
Thanks Paul "

As appraisers this is what we see when we pick up questions. This tells me you are looking to see how much your cat was worth, I then proceeded to ask you pertinent questions, in order to determine exactly what it is you have, in order to look up and give you the most current value based on what you have.

I had no idea you wanted any other information then the worth! I could not know that since it was not written in the original question.

I strive to provide the most up to date information that is available to us, to the customer. I did ask you exactly what you have, all the correct questions in order to give you the current value, then I provided you with that information.

Thanks much, I do hope you find I did provide what your question asked, and rate me for providing your answer. This is the only way we are compensated by the site for our time.

Glenda