Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I have two silver sauce boats and small ladles/spoons. They

Hello I have two silver sauce boats and small ladles/spoons. They are marked with West&Son, a letter M, a stamp that looks like a person standing up at a desk and another stamp which I can't tell what it is but could be either a harp or a G. We don't have these insured but wonder whether they should be. We do have, somewhere, a letter or authenticity which we were given with them about 26 years ago. Would you have an idea of their value please?

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Can you send a picture of these and the marks on them?

Glenda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi did you get the photos ?

Yes, I am looking this up be right back

Researching I found:

West & Son , Dublin, 1891

The company started in 1720, In the 19th century the family continued the silversmiths and retailers business as Clarke & West (c. 1803, Capel Street), Matthew West, Matthew West & Sons (c.1825) and later as James West & Son (from 1841 in new premises at 18/19, College Green), becoming one of the foremost jewellers in Ireland.
.
West & Son participated to the 1851 Great Exhibition in London and the Dublin Exhibition of 1853.
After the death of James West (1877) the firm was managed by his son Langley Archer West (d. 1932) in partnership (1902-1912) with ***** ***** Lawson, George William Thornley and George Crowly. In 1912 the firm transferred to new premises at 102/103 Grafton Street, Dublin (from 1965 at*****.
West & Son closed on 13 February 2010.

Your mark indicates your pieces were made in 1891.

.

The Antique West and Sons Sterling Silver Gravy Boats have an estimated value on the current market for an average of 800.00-950.00 GBP, the Sterling Silver Ladles- 250.00-275.00 GBP
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I have two sauce boats and two ladles. Is your estimate for one ladle and one sauce boat?

This is for each one, so if you have two this price would be double this: 800.00-950.00 GBP,

250.00-275.00 GBP this price would be double this.

.
.
Glenda,
.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Glenda

You are very welcome, if you need anything else feel free asking for me, just put " To Glenda"

Glenda