Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have been left a silver teapot and two milk by my father

Hi Pearl, I have been left a silver teapot and two milk jugs by my father and the recent death of my step-mother requires that and need a valuation for probate purposes. My research suggests they were made by Edward Viner (E.V) in the first half of the 20th century. The marks are E.V then a crown then a lion passant then the date letter D for 1946. I'm not sure whether this means they are pure silver or are silver plated. There is nowhere on them anything I can find to suggest they are plate and E.V is not in the list of Sheffield platers but I'm ignorant of such matters. Having been told some years ago they were worth only 10s of pounds I am loathe to pay the £50 per item valuation fee levied by my local jeweller in the isle of Man. I'd therefore value your help. Many thanks Nigel Harrison
Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: No I don't think so...

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the item.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. I'll send you some photos .... cheers Nigel

You are welcome. I look forward to viewing your photos. One of my specialties is English silver.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Doris, here are three photos. I know the silver needs polishing....sorry!! Cheers
Nigel

The teapot looks to be a different pattern from the other two pieces. Do they all have the EV stamps? If not, which ones do?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They all have identical marks.

Yes, the Edward Viner mark for assay office in Sheffield indicating a date cycle of 1946-7 plus the "lion passant" (walking lion) are sterling standard - 925. The Lion Passant is the sterling mark here.

The estimated retail value for the set is $1600-1900.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I use this valuation for probate? Would you be able to send me an email confirming their value for my solicitor?
Cheers
Nigel

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************