Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a set of 12 fish knives and forks (1 knife is

Customer Question

I have a set of 12 fish knives and forks (1 knife is missing) which appear to have a silver mark on them, but I cannot find it anywhere online. I have taken a picture, not sure if can send you a picture but it starts with:
Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: F H (what looks like a mountain) S and then in what is a square a letter P on its side an anchor and MB on its side
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** next step would be to add some photos.
Use the small blue camera icon next to the red SEND button.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just sending the picture of the marks.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This is the mark of Francis Howard, Ltd of Edinburgh, Scotland,and the Uk; fine silversmiths and retailers in business from 1870 to 1940. The symbol in the middle is a target with and arrow in the bullseye. The other mark means that the set is plated silver and not sterling. A set of 12 fish knives and forks in silver plate in a pattern that looks to be from the 1870 to 1890's, also when the fish sets were most popular, is valued at $175 to $225 resale.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Tradesy.com, Offerup.com (local), Mercari.com, Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com, liveauctioneers.com, or auctionzip.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.

To get me again, start a new question and write ForCustomerOnly as the first words.
To ask a new question, you can go to your My Questions and click on "ask me a new question"
You can also 'favorite' me, that way I should show up as your personal Expert for antiques and appraisals.

Please do scroll to the top of the page and click the stars (adding a bonus is on the Leave a Review page). It is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 30 days ago.

This is a follow-up to see if you are happy with my answer?

Please write thank you or click the stars to end this one.

-Rarewares