Wayne
Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

Can you tell me if its legal for an owner of a gallery to

Hello Pearl, Can you tell me if its legal for an owner of a gallery to sign an appraisal on a painting that they have sold you. Carole
Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: If l buy a painting from an Art Gallery and they ask you to pay for an appraisal, is it legal for the owner of the gallery to have signed it. Carole
Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No what l mean is if they sold you the painting then they have an interest in what they tell you it is worth. Carole
Yes it is legal, many companies that sell items issue appraisals with the merchandise. This may be unethical however, since the person issuing the appraisal has a financial interest in the item being apprsised. I have wholesaled jewelry and have issued apprasals for retail replacement value. Most appraisal societies forbid the appraiser to have a financial interest in the item being appraised. It is considered unethical to charge a fee based on the value. If you feel uncomfortable, get a second opinion of value on the work of art. In some ways an art gallery that exclusively represents an artist who has only sold paintings through them may be the only one qualified to appraise a work of art by the artist. I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Wayne
Click on the STARS*****When you read this ANSWER.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello. Thank you for your reply and it does help as l needed to know if it was unlawful before l went any further with a claim. Many thanks Carole.