ncsunburst
ncsunburst, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antique Dealer
61108514

I have a coin i would like to find more about, and how much

Hi i have a coin i would like to find more about, and how much it might be worth

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Let me do a little research and I'll be back shortly. Thanks Mike

Hi, After my research your Roman coin is as follows: The coins coined by Magnencio and Decencio with the reverse chrismon, were carved between 352 and 353 AD in just four mints and the legend dnmacnen tivspfavc that adhered to this allegory was SALVS DD NN AVG ET CAES, " Salus Dominorvm Nostrorvm Avgvsti et Caesaris "The health of our lords, the Emperor and the Caesar, trying to ingratiate himself at first with Constantius II, has a value in today's market at auction with similar examples in good condition £55.00 to excellent condition £90.00 depending on the collector. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike
If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer by
using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
The Roman Empire in the 4th century AD saw established Christianity as the religion of the state. On the coins, the evidence for this change was quite minor. A small Chi-Rho in a standard in the hands of the soldiers was a common reverse type. The monogram Chi-Rho, or Christogram, X and P combined, the first two letters of the name of Christ. Only once was there a coin issue with a prominent use of the Christian symbol. In the year 353 AD, near the end of his lost battle with Constantius II, the usurper Magnentius issued bronze coins showing the Chi-Rho between the letters Alpha and Omega
Magnencio / Christogram - AE 2 - 353 AD - 23mm - 5, 6 g - mint Arlate
DNMAGNEN - TIVSPFAVG / SALVS DD NN AVG ET CAES alfa - omega () AR
Magnentius uses the symbol of Christ to solicit the support of Christians in the Western Empire in his struggle with Emperor Constantius II of the East. Constantius was very interested in theology and supported the teachings of Arius of Alexandria the heretic who had been excommunicated at the Council of Nicaea. While popular in the East, the Arian heresy is strongly opposed in the West, where the teachings of the Bishop of Rome prevailed. Arius taught that Christ was not of the "same" substance but was only "like" the Father. Arius emphasized the human aspects of Christ. The use of such a strong Christian symbol reminds people of the danger of a heretical emperor might be that of their beliefs and their souls. Magnencio's interest in this symbol was political and strategic rather than philosophical.
The legend of the reverse includes an unusual use of a plural abbreviation. Domini Nostri, our gentlemen, is abbreviated DDNN doubling each letter. These words modify the phrase AVG ET CAES, Augusto and César. Since there was only one Augustus (Magnentius) and one Caesar (his brother Decencio) credited, the final letters of these words were only (AVG not AVGG). Salus, in this case, wishes for the well-being of the couple. Both were dead within weeks of this problem.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks a lot that was very imformative

Hi, Thank You & Your Welcome if you ever need help in the future just ask and I would be glad to help you with any questions you might have I am very well versed in all antiques, china, coins, books, primitives, bottles, collectibles etc. just put FOR Mike orCustomer ONLY at the front of your question in the appraisals category. Thanks Mike