Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have 6 Cups and saucers marked,G.D.&C, Underlined LIMOGES,

Customer Question

I have 6 Cups and saucers marked,G.D.&C, Underlined LIMOGES, With pattern number hand painted 6929.They are gold flowered designed with different butterflies,gold handles,they appear to be see through China of a yellowish colour
Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Condition is fine gold rimmed top and bottom and gold flowers gold butterflies different on each cup,all looks definitely hand painted
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 10 days ago.

Welcome! Doris here. I will be pleased to work with you. My responses are not immediate. I thank
you for your patience. I am reviewing the question.

*************************
Please read all carefully!
*************************

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send photos of a cup.

Please send a clear, in-focus photo of the identification marks, labels and/or words on the item.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the BLUE DOCUMENT ICON (next to the red "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP or DOCX format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hope you got that ?
Expert:  Doris replied 10 days ago.

No. Your pictures did not come through at this end. How did you send them?

Expert:  Doris replied 10 days ago.

Sometimes customers using the site mobile app must scroll back to see our responses. Did you see my message that I did not receive the two pictures I requested?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do not request £5,It will be refused.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I do not need help at £16 a call,where are you.Outer Mongolia.My No is 0131(###) ###-####
Expert:  Doris replied 10 days ago.

The main office is in the USA but there are site representatives in the UK.

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer at no extra cost.

You will have the most accurate assessment if your expert sees pictures first.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not likely I stay in lovely Edinburgh the Capital of worldwide art,I just thought you could say something constructive
Expert:  Doris replied 10 days ago.

I have been antiquing and sightseeing in Edinburgh many times. It is indeed a lovely city.

Please look at the mark on your pieces again. Could the three initials be GDA?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No,Mark is,G.D.&C with a small mark at the top of the C” perhaps o pattern 6929
Expert:  Doris replied 9 days ago.

The mark is that of Gustave DeMartial & Cie dating 1883-1893.

The estimated retail value of each cup/saucer set is 25-30 GBP.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices (30-50% of retail) try one of these sites.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices (30%-50% of retail). Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has the largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify a local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
AmazonMarketplace.com
Chairish.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com, nextdoor.com, Facebook.com, or Facebook Marketplace where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Packing porcelain from Haviland International:

1. Start with a layer of packing material such as bubble wrap, packing pellets or poly foam at the bottom of a sturdy box. For shipping some items it may be better to use more than one interior carton if more than one item is being shipped.

2. Heavy items, such as pottery, platters, tureens or vases must be wrapped in large bubble wrap (two layers is even better) and placed in smaller separate boxes before adding them to the larger outer shipping carton. This is known as DOUBLE BOXING, a box inside a box.

3. Begin packing the box with the heaviest items, then proceed with the lighter items as you fill the box.

4. Wrap plates, bowls and serving pieces separately in bubble wrap. Heavier pieces and delicate items need to be wrapped in large bubble wrap. To ensure that the wrapping stays in place, secure it with a small strip of tape or, better yet, rubber bands. Rubber bands are easier to remove, as they do not require a knife or razor blade, and will stretch and shrink as the ambient temperature changes.

5. Fill any empty space with styrofoam peanuts (or crumpled newspaper, or ...) to prevent contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

6. Add a final layer of packing material to the top of the box before you seal it to prevent the contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

7. Label the outer shipping carton with FRAGILE labels.

8. If you are willing to drop the box to the floor from a standing position after you have packed it then you have probably packed it correctly.

Following these instructions carefully will prevent problems for both buyers and sellers.

Depending on the value or importance of the pieces being shipped, you may wish to consider using plastic boxes (Tupperware, etc.) as your interior containers after bubble wrapping each piece individually. These are much less likely to be crushed if the parcel receives rough handling in shipment.

It is recommended to use Priority Mail insured or UPS for your shipments*. Parcel Post may take up to three weeks to reach the destination and the parcels are handled more frequently.

* It is not recommended to use FedEx to ship porcelain and glass. The fine print on their website states that their limit of liability for these commodities is $100, regardless of how much insurance is purchased at the time of shipment.

UPS shipping guidelines for porcelain and glass require that each piece be surrounded on all sides with two inches of packing material. This may seem excessive, but you will realize that this is only to try to guarantee safe arrival, especially when you open an improperly packed parcel that contains broken pieces.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate the appraisers for any issues you might have with the site, appraisers are not employees of the site, we come to the site to answer questions the customers have.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "FOR DORIS" as the first TWO WORDS of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Expert:  Doris replied 8 days ago.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
This does not cost you extra.

Kind regards,
Doris