ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

Thanks. As per my enquiry we are having to sell much of our

Customer Question

Thanks. As per my enquiry we are having to sell much of our house contents. These include two nice old (1920's) HMV gramophones. Can you help?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: 2 HMVs for sale (1920's ?) in good condition. One is table top model with large wooden horn. The other is two cupboards with lid. Nice wood.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Were in good working order (having been serviced properly) but not used much since we bought them. Good to excellent condition.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for the question! HMV gramophones are very collectible. The ones in the small cabinets are modestly priced: 100 to 150 pounds in working order, while the wood horns are very desirable and sell on their own for 400 to 600 pounds (the attached sold for 600 pounds at a recent auction). At the top of the market are the fully functional wood horned table top gramophones that can sell for more than 2,000 pounds, like the attached, described as follows: HMV MONARCH SENIOR PHONOGRAPH
This HMV Monarch Senior, was produced around 1905 by the Gramophone & Typewriter Co. of England, under license from Victor, and marketed under the "HMV" trademark ("His Master's Voice").
With a 3-spring motor, 12" turntable and Victor Exhibition reproducer sound box, it is an impressive phonograph. This was originally produced to be a front-mount machine, then when the factory switched over to rear mount they used some of the leftover casings from the original production, which account for the two extra holes in the rear side of the casing (where the front-mount bracket would have been fitted).
The ornate casing, with egg-and-dart moldings, rope-twist edges and corner columns measures about 14" x 14". There is one small chip in the top molding (at the rear, hardly noticeable) that you can see in the pictures.
The oak spear tip horn, later-made, is in perfect condition.
We have tested this phonograph and it works and sounds just great.

Again, thank you! Is there any additional information that I can provide? Rating my professionalism using the 5-star system is the only way that JustAnswer recognizes experts and it closes the question. It does not cost you anything additional. (see: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl) Also, I don't participate in calls that cost additional money for you: these requests come from JustAnswer and not the expert. If you have any more questions, let me know!

Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for reviewing your answer, but I noticed that you did not rate it. Is there any additional information I can provide?

Rating my professionalism is the way that JustAnswer closes a question and lets me help others. If you need help rating the question, see: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl or alternately, a reply like "thank you that was helpful" allows me to close it manually. Again, thank you!