ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have a oil painting passed down from my grandmother and

Customer Question

I have a oil painting passed down from my grandmother and want to get valued although I dont know who the artist is?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I can send you a picture of the painting?
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I dont know they will need to look at it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

My name is Rarewares.

Attach pictures to this conversation on the justanswer.com website. Use
the blue paper symbol to browse your device for photos.

I WILL NOT get photos texted to 415-818-1925.

-Rarewares

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Passed down from grandmother original painting - dont know who the artist can you help identify and give valuation
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your patience! Based on the image it may be by an artist artist Jean Gunther. I found a close work to yours, where the seller wrote: "We love the texture and beautiful colors! In overall good condition, with a bit of edge wear to the frame, as expected. Signed lower right JG. Jean is sister to John Gunther, journalist and author (Death Be Not Proud, among other works). Little is known about her background and training. Her works are numerous and include Oils (canvas and board), Watercolors, Gouaches, Collage, Sketches, and even hand made calendars," and she painted in an abstract expressionist style popular in the mid 20th century. The attached work sold for $125 but at an antique or midcentury consignment shop these sell for $200 to $300.

Again, thank you! Is there any additional information that I can provide? Rating my professionalism using the 5-star system is the only way that JustAnswer recognizes experts and it closes the question. It does not cost you anything additional. (see: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl) Also, I don't participate in calls that cost additional money for you: these requests come from JustAnswer and not the expert. If you have any more questions, let me know!

Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for reviewing your answer, but I noticed that you did not rate it. Is there any additional information I can provide?

Rating my professionalism is the way that JustAnswer closes a question and lets me help others. If you need help rating the question, see: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl or alternately, a reply like "thank you that was helpful" allows me to close it manually. Again, thank you!