Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Is it possible to mistake an grandidierite for an

Customer Question

hello, is it possible to mistake an grandidierite for an aquamarine
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: My mother was given a stone by her jeweller in Madagascar ( at the time, around 1967). He had told her it was so rare , he did not even know its name. She had it mounted into a ring surrounded by white saphires . Its color changes depending on the angle and the light; I tried to have it identified and was told it is a green blue aquamarine; I have got aquamarines stones from Madagascar and they are definitely blue!
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It was not treated nor heated, Just natural;
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
am trying to send a picture
Expert:  Wayne replied 13 days ago.
This is Wayne I am working on your question.
Expert:  Wayne replied 13 days ago.
Please post photos of this by clicking on the Blue document icon by the Red send button.
Thanks again,
Wayne
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Wayne , thank you for being interested in answering my question;
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Wayne , thank you for being interested in answering my question;i cannot phone ;my computer does not have sound
Expert:  Wayne replied 9 days ago.
Unfortunately I can't identify this as I would have to test it to be able to identify it. I will opt-out of this question so others may be able to help you with this.
Thanks,
Wayne
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just to be clear, I am not asking the identity of my stone. Am just asking if it is possible to make a mistake in identifying what a stone is; My stone was identified as an Aquamarine and yet ,because of what I was told about it , I thought it was a grandidierite; hence my question;
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you