Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have some cups and saucers that were given to my

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have some cups and saucers that were given to my grandmother for her wedding in 1922. They are probably eastern eurpean as I can't read the writing and it looks almost Greek
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The cups and saucers are red or carmine with flowers in white circles and gold painted on the edges. I would like to identify them if possible
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: There are 2 images on the underneath surface. One has a horseman on it, the other may have roots or wings. I can't make out what it is! There's a squiggle beneath both images

Welcome! Doris here. I will be pleased to work with you. My responses are not immediate. I thank
you for your patience. I am reviewing the question.

Note: If you are working on your mobile phone, you may need to scroll back to see my responses.

*************************

Please read all carefully!

*************************

Please tell me the approximate size in inches.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send photos of the item.

Please send a clear, in-focus photo of the identification marks, labels and/or words on the item.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the BLUE DOCUMENT or CAMERA ICON (next to the red "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.

Please do not send in ZIP or DOCX format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

The quickest, most efficient method of sending photos is to use the small Blue Document or Camera icon near the Red Send button.

1. Click on the small blue icon.

2. Click the "Choose" and locate the photo on your computer.

3. Click "open" for the chosen photo.

4. Allow the photo to completely upload then click OK.

5. *****Then type one word (for example Pic 1) in the text box.*****

6. Then click Send.

Repeat for each picture.

DO NOT TRY TO TEXT PICTURES. There is no valid texting method for sending photos to this site.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
pic1
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
pic2

Thank you for the pictures. I see what you mean about the letters/words.

Please allow a bit of time for study and typing.

The mark is a 19thC for Francis Garner of Verbilki (near Moscow), Russia,

Francis Y. Gardner, an Englishman, established a private porcelain manufactory in Russia. His wares were among the most popular of the 19thC.

Your cup and saucer have an estimated retail value of 110-140 GBP in an upscale venue.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices (30%-50% of retail). Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has the largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify a local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.

Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fee to list plus 3.5% final price.

Artfire.com

AmazonMarketplace.com

Chairish.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com

Tias.com

cyberattic.com

trocadero.com

https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com, nextdoor.com, Facebook.com, or Facebook Marketplace where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate the appraisers for any issues you might have with the site, appraisers are not employees of the site, we come to the site to answer questions the customers have.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you are using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "FOR DORIS" as the first TWO WORDS of the question, I should be able to help you.

You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. I have 5 cups and 7 saucers. I have seen something similar now on the maas website. Theirs dates from 1840 but has a painted central roundel whereas mine are plain with 2 oval painted roundels adjacent to the central one. Anyhow they are very pretty and delicate. I hope they're not the cheap mass produced ones from when the factory was taken over in the period before 1917! I can't find examples yet of work from that period.
Thank you again

You are welcome.

**********************

Thank you so much for the positive rating!

If you have questions in the future,

please request me by typing “FOR DORIS” as the FIRST TWO WORDS of the question.

Simply requesting me expires in a short time.

I will be the one to take your question.

You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' as your personal expert.

Thank you again.