Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a solid silver Christening mug which has been

I have a solid silver Christening mug which has been engraved "Guy Shelmerdine June 3rd 1905". Guy was my father's brother who died before I was born. Can you tell me how much this is likely to be worth please
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Not at this stage

Welcome! Doris here. I will be pleased to work with you. My responses are not immediate. I thank
you for your patience. I am reviewing the question.

Note: If you are working on your mobile phone, you may need to scroll back to see my responses.

*************************

Please read all carefully!

*************************

Please tell me the approximate size in inches.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send photos of the item.

Please send a clear, in-focus photo of the identification marks, labels and/or words on the item.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the BLUE DOCUMENT or CAMERA ICON (next to the red "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.

Please do not send in ZIP or DOCX format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

The quickest, most efficient method of sending photos is to use the small Blue Document or Camera icon near the Red Send button.

1. Click on the small blue icon.

2. Click the "Choose" and locate the photo on your computer.

3. Click "open" for the chosen photo.

4. Allow the photo to completely upload then click OK.

5. *****Then type one word (for example Pic 1) in the text box.*****

6. Then click Send.

Repeat for each picture.

DO NOT TRY TO TEXT PICTURES. There is no valid texting method for sending photos to this site.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Doris, The mug/tankard is 3.5" high. Hope this helps.

I received two excellent pictures of the mug. Please send one clear one of the marks.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
This is the clearest I can get Doris. Can you decipher these codes for a valuation please

Yes. Give me a moment.

Explanation of marks:

HA - Sponsoring silversmiths - Atkin Brothers

Crown - Assay office in Sheffield, England

Walking lion - Lion Passant - the English guarantee mark for sterling silver

The L - Sheffield style date letter for 1903.

The estimated retail value of this Christening mug is 300-400 GBP in an upscale venue.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices (30%-50% of retail). Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has the largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify a local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.

Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fee to list plus 3.5% final price.

Artfire.com

AmazonMarketplace.com

Chairish.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com

Tias.com

cyberattic.com

trocadero.com

https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com, nextdoor.com, Facebook.com, or Facebook Marketplace where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate the appraisers for any issues you might have with the site, appraisers are not employees of the site, we come to the site to answer questions the customers have.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you are using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "FOR DORIS" as the first TWO WORDS of the question, I should be able to help you.

You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
FOR DORIS - I have some more silver I would like you to value please Doris. If you can do this then I will definitely give you a tip, following on from your last valuation.

I am enclosing photographs of a silver tea service which has been in my family for generations. Unfortunately the lid on the main tea pot is missing otherwise it would be worth a lot of money (according to Sothebys). Please c an you tell me each individual item valuation or would it be better to sell as a whole unit.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I cannot download the photographs Doris.

I think there has been an unusual, momentary problem with the site.

However,

please read very carefully!

Unfortunately, it is against site policy to stack questions. You will need to go back to the beginning and enter your item in a new question thread.

I would be delighted to help you there. Just type "For Doris Only' as the first three words of your new question thread.

Doris