Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I am looking to sell some rare books through a bookseller .I

Customer Question

I am looking to sell some rare books through a bookseller .I can see the price asked for these books on ABE but don't know what to ask from the bookshop as I do not know their normal margin.
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Are the pages, cover, and spine in good condition?
Customer: Yes
JA: Do you know how old the book is? Is it a first edition?
Customer: 1906 Yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Not really
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 9 days ago.

Hi. My name is Diana

To be honest, there's no way to be able to say what a bookseller will offer or what's best for you to ask for. Each bookseller is different because it depends on their shop, their known clientele, and their region. It will vary from each one to the next. The best policy is to ask them for what is the least amount you'll take for them and negotiate from there. It's rare for customers to be able to ask for anything though. In most cases, the shop will evaluate the books and make you an offer than you can accept or not. They don't generally leave the pricing up to the customers.

.

Your best bet is to visit the shops with the most traffic. That means they'll still be paying for advertising, they'll be well known, they'll be active on facebook or other forms of social media (even twitter or instagram). There's nothing wrong with letting them know you're shopping around and will have to think about their offer and get second or third opinions.

~Diana