Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I m looking to buy antique French silver tea set. I need to

I m looking to buy antique French silver tea set. I need to know the quality and the price worth to pay.
That’s the description by the seller:Coffee tea set in solid silver, rockery style, four pieces: teapot, coffee maker, sugar bowl and milk jug.
silver total gross weight: 1801 grams hallmarks and JBF goldsmith : François Jean Baptiste (circa 1900)
dimensions: teapot: 19cm height 23cm coffee maker width: 25cm height 21cm sugar bowl width: 16cm height 17cm width milk container: 14cm height 12cm width
Period:19th century
Style:Napoleon 3rd
Condition : Très bon étatWidth : 21
Height : 25

Welcome! Doris here. I will be pleased to work with you. My responses are not immediate. I thank you for your patience. I am reviewing the question.

I am not sure what you mean by "coffee maker"? Is not this a coffee pot?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi it’s coffee pot That’s correct

It is always best when buying silver to verify the marks. Also, the crisper the mark, the better the value when compared to other pieces of the same era.

While it is rather difficult to get good pictures of marks on silver, it is important to see them, if possible.

I need better pictures of the marks here to give you the best answer.

By the way, if the silversmith's marking is actually JBF, his name is Jean-Baptiste Francois.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is extra one
Although not sure If good enough
The dealer is in France and sent me this. I don’t think I can get better view of the stamp

I am having trouble finding the french maker JBF even though pieces attributed to that name are found online. I would like to locate that exact mark before I give you value.

Give me a few minutes.

Yes, I found it. Jean Baptiste Francois is said to have succeeded Augustin Lahure who is dated 1886-1900. This means your set was made sometime after 1886.

I would need to see the other French marks to give better dating. The seller has not sent any other mark.

I would not pay more than his asking price of 1280 euros. If the information the dealer is representing is correct, the asking price is low. However, the pictures of the mark he sent are too blurred to read properly and he has not sent the quality guarantee mark. Even if this is plated silver, the asking price is OK.

Remember insurance and shipping costs can be high.

I cannot quote what those might be.

Please know one of my specialties is silver and has been for over 60 years.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate the appraisers for any issues you might have with the site, appraisers are not employees of the site, we come to the site to answer questions the customers have.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you are using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "FOR DORIS" as the first TWO WORDS of the question, I should be able to help you.

You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

You are welcome.

**********************

Thank you so much for the positive rating!

If you have questions in the future,

please request me by typing ******“FOR DORIS”****** as the FIRST TWO WORDS of the question.

Simply requesting me expires in a short time.

I will be the one to take your question.

You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' as your personal expert.

Thank you again.