LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a painting which has a very old frame and signed

For Wayne,I have a painting which has a very old frame and signed Corot, although I am pretty sure it’s not actually by him....but maybe a student of his? If you can throw any light on it I would be interested. My grandmother had it in her Antique shop in Wimbledon where I remember seeing it and my mother left it to me. I have some photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some photos

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried Wayne as he was very helpful before? Otherwise no hurry I can wait. Many thanks
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** wait. Anthea

I've been researching this but unfortunately haven't been able to find a match to your artist, so I'll opt out and see if another expert that signs on might have better luck

~Diana

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you .

By all accounts this appears to be done by Jean Corot. The subject matter, type of painting , and signature all match to be his. The frame and painting I believe to be done in 1850-1870 period. The wooden backing and nails also authenticate the period. If you can post the measurements fo this painting I can give you an accurate value.

Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot

Born: 1796 - Paris, France Died: 1875 - Ville d'Avray

Known for: tonalist landscape painting

The following was written and compiled by Jean Ershler Schatz, artits and researcher from Laguna Woods, California:

Jean Baptiste Camille Corot was born in Paris in 1796 in a house on a corner that looked out on the bridges that loop the Seine. His father ran a fashionable millinery shop. He was twenty-six years old when he entered the studio of landscape painter Achille-Etna Michallon, an artist no older than himself who encouraged him to work en plein air. Michallon died only a few months later, leaving Corot to continue his training with the much older artist Jean-Victor Bertin (who had been Michallon's teacher).

After his schooling, Camille was apprenticed to a draper He was sweet and kind but he was also stubborn, He refused to marry the girl his parents had selected for him; he made no effort to succeed in the business in which his father placed him. His optimism and high spirits were contagious; he liked to dance amd loved music. He became the best known landscape painter of the Barbizon School, which was founded by Theodore Rousseau. His studio pictures could be weak, dull and sickenly sweet; his paintings direct from nature were often pure and clear. He started off strong. He was blessed with deep feeling for nature, instinctive taste and a large allowance from his family. At twenty-nine he went to Italy and immediately started painting the best landscapes of his career.

After Corot's return to Paris, others kept urging him to paint big, neo-classical scenes stuffed with the literary allusions then popular. Amiability was perhaps Corot's greatest fault as an artist. He gave in, gained critical success with such pictures, then proceeded to make a critical success with watered-down studio versions of his landscapes. He never sold a single painting until he was past fifty. >From his late forties until his death at seventy-eight, Corot painted thousands of such canvases to fill a vast and continuing demand. Only now and then did he rise again to the heights of his youth.

Corot was the first French painter to wrongly attempt to rival the camera. After 1850, a suggestion of light became his subject. Paintings became the silvery color of photographs, a technique that was at once successful. He was forced to return to studio painting in 1870 but he profited by that change when he went back to landscape. Corot gave a large part of his earnings to other artists. He generally thought his friends better painters than himself. In both his life and his art he was the epitome of contentment. In failure he did not sulk; in success he was happy to use his wealth to help out his friends, including the caricaturist Daumier, who, impoverished and nearly blind, was about to be evicted from his cottage. Corot bought another cottage for Daumier.

He died in 1875 at the age of seventy-nine of cancer of the stomach.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Tanya, thank you so much for looking into this for me. I am amazed to think it might actually be by Corot, whose other landscape paintings I like very much. It was very interesting to read about his life. He sounds a very interesting character and a kind man. If it is by Corot I imagine I may need to go to London to see if I can get experts there to have a look a it too? (I live in York in the UK) The measurements of the canvas visible is 23cm x 28 cms. And with the frame it is 41cms x48 cms.
Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you further.
Best wishes, Anthea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind, I hit the button without really meaning to anyway! I will cancel the call please and await her response. Many thanks, Anthea

I am glad I have been able to help you The value on this I would say conservatively at 50,000-75,000.00 possibly going more at auction. This is a quality piece that has been well taken care of the years. Keep it out of the direct sunlight to prevent damage. I have listed three auction houses in London that could possibly help you. Call or email them and send photos and measurements and how you came about the painting They should be able to tell you if they would handle the sale and what they feel it could bring you. It is then up to you if you wish to work with any of them in selling this.

Christies in London

https://www.christies.com/locations/salerooms/king-street/

Gardner Galleries

https://gardnergalleries.com/

Dreweatts

https://www.dreweatts.com/

When I have helped answer all your questions on this painting please rate my work by the stars above our post here. this is strictly how I ma paid for my work It costs you nothing just how the company pays me is by the ratings. Thank you and I do appreciate your time.

LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience: 25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher