Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a late 19th century leather bound common prayer book

Customer Question

I have a late 19th century leather bound common prayer book about 2 1/2 inches tall which fits into a monogrammed silver cover. The book has been ruined by silver cleaner even though it slips quite easily out of the case. Is there any chance I could replace it?
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Are the pages, cover, and spine in good condition?
Customer: The spine is good but the pages are swollen and mostly illegible due to silver cleaner
JA: Do you know if your copy is a first edition?
Customer: No I wouldn't think so. It belonged to my Grandmother and was probably given to her at confirmation in around 1880
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I can send a picture for you but what I really want to know is if I can get a replacement book. I think this one is beyond compare. I do not wish to sell.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 18 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 18 days ago.

In order to properly assess what you have, I would please need to see images.

Please add images at your convenience.

To attach photos, there should be a blue document icon next to the SEND button.

~Nora

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The book in question and for which I would like to purchase a replacement, is 5 1/2 centimetres by 4 1/2 printed by University Press London Henry Fowde. There is also a small shield with 3 crowns and a book in the middle, no date
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I cannot find a blue button. I can send a picture by email if that would help. I am a very senior citizen and sometimes struggle a little with the internet ! I am anxious to find what I am looking for as I want my Granddaughter to have the book and silver cover when I die. Right now I could possibly die from the Corona virus within weeks or months but hopefully not!
Expert:  Nora replied 16 days ago.

I have not found a replacement for you to purchase.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 15 days ago.

Certainly