Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a pretty little silver stand with 4 egg cups and

I have a pretty little silver stand with 4 egg cups and spoons, spoons are stamped G & E 1937. Are they of any value please
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the spoon in?
Customer: I can take a photo. The whole thing is in very good condition but needs cleaning
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: the underside of the stand has hallmark j t & co ltd s - EPNS - 1190

I'd like to see the item and the marks, writing or labels on the bottom or back.

If you are on a computer, use the blue document with up arrow symbol by the SEND

to browse your device for a photo.

Write any word in the message box

then choose only ONE picture then send. It will not let you do several at once.

On mobile phone, you should be able to respond to a text with pictures (one at a time works best).

-Rarewares

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can you confirm if you have received the photos which I have tried to send from my iPad? If not I’ll try again

There are none. Upload them here instead.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am not sure what I’m doing wrong but I entered a the word stand in the message box, took the photo which showed to the left of the box, pressed send and it is still not showing

Our Customer Support team is available to help you 24/7. Email***@******.***.
In the US or Canada: 1-***-***-**** (Available 6am to 9pm PST). In the UK: 0-***-***-****.
In Australia: 1800-679-634. In New Zealand: 0800-452-621. From anywhere else: 1-***-***-****.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Having logged onto my main computer, there were many criticisms of your site so before I go any further, I would like to cancel the membership and would be pleased if you will refund £5 and take no further payments from my account.

Hello. My name is***** of my specialties is English silver.

While you have requested a refund and cancel, I would like to give you an answer to your question so you at least do not feel quite so unhappy with our service.

As you may know, you have an English egg cruet.

The marks on the frame are those of J. Turton & Co, Ltd of Sheffield, UK. They used these marks 1910-1923. The EPNS means electroplated nickel silver which is actually plated silver.

The number 1190 represents the style or piece number assigned by the maker...the Turton workshop.

Your egg spoons were made later (1937) by a maker I am not familiar with. It is not uncommon for the original spoons to have replaced later. The spoons are most often sterling as the egg yolk stains silver easily. Sterling can hold up better in such cases.

Then again, egg spoons can be plated on occasion.

I cannot determine exactly whether yours are plated or sterling. Yet, I doubt they would be marked as you state ...G E 1937 ... if they were sterling. If the have a walking lion stamp let me know.

A dealers' estimated asking prices would be:

If spoons are plated - 150-270 GBP

If spoons are sterling - 200-320 GBP

Unfortunately, the value of plated silver has dropped significantly in the last 30 years. I wish I had better news.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices (30%-50% of retail). Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has the largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify a local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.

Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fee to list plus 3.5% final price.

Artfire.com

AmazonMarketplace.com

Chairish.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com

Tias.com

cyberattic.com

trocadero.com

https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com, nextdoor.com, Facebook.com, or Facebook Marketplace where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate the appraisers for any issues you might have with the site, appraisers are not employees of the site, we come to the site to answer questions the customers have.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you are using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "FOR DORIS" as the first TWO WORDS of the question, I should be able to help you.

You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

I had not enabled the "rating" feature for fear you might give my work, no matter how accurate, a negative because you asked to cancel.

It really personally and professionally affects my standing in my job as an appraiser if my record is stained by a negative rating --- one or two stars gives a "negative."

Please consider giving my work a positive 5 stars so that the site credits my site account. This does NOT COST YOU EXTRA. If you cannot provide a positive rating then please do not rate my work.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Thank you so much for the positive rating!

If you have questions in the future,

please request me by typing ******“FOR DORIS”****** as the FIRST TWO WORDS of the question.

Simply requesting me expires in a short time.

I will be the one to take your question.

You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' as your personal expert.

Thank you again.