ncsunburst
ncsunburst, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antique Dealer
61108514

I have a megalodon fossil shark tooth and looking to get it

I have a megalodon fossil shark tooth and looking to get it appraised. I found it I'm bedded in a clay wall, this wall was in a cave that had been carved out by the ocean in the algarve, Portugal. I found numerous teeth her too suggesting the ocean current had picked up the fossils and embedded them over time. The smaller fossils I'm sure belonged to current sharks as the had no serration in the teeth. However I'm 99% positive this tooth belonged to a megalodon.
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the bed is? What condition is it in?
Customer: It's a tooth, and I know megalodons died out roughly 50 million years ago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The tooth is in great condition. With one of the roots chipped off and a slight ship in the serration. The tooth is also discoloured, unlike most teeth that are black. This tooth is a tan, even golden colour. The enamel is shiny, without having been polished.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. If you can please post clear photos of your sharks tooth plus the size from tip of root to point of tooth so I can give you an accurate evaluation. To add some photos use the small blue document icon next to the red SEND button, then add a message in the text with each picture before you hit send. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Mike, I have attached some photos with this reply. Hope you can shed any light on it. I believe the coloration is possibly caused by the environment its been in over the course of time.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The size of the tooth is 4.4 inches
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It weighs 90.7 grams
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry it spans 4.1 inches

Hi, Thank You for the photos. After my research your Megalodon tooth missing a little tip of the root nice serrations & enamel being a little over 4" has a value in today's market at auction in good condition £275.00 + to excellent condition £425.00 depending on the collector or consumer. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike
If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer by
using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
The stars are located at the top of the page RATE YOUR EXPERT 5 stars being the best or just write Thank You I'll get credit for helping you. On mobile or app, you will see "Rate Expert to Finish" at the bottom. When you tap it, it turns into the stars.