ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have a painting, it has been signed Condo 96 but it is too

Customer Question

I have a painting
JA: What would you like to learn about the painting? Is there any info on the back, or a certificate of authenticity?
Customer: it has been signed Condo 96 but it is too naive to be a condo for sure. "“Circle of”: The auction house thinks this work is from the same period of the artist and shows his or her influence."
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Before I do, is there anything else they should know?
Customer: no
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It's painted on board and measures 40cm x 30cm. I am unsure why it is even Circle of condo. I cant see any kind of resembulance to his paintings tbh. I wonder why it has been signed Condo. Why would someone do that? Might it be a Condo student? Any information you can give would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
File attached (PGZZ524)
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 22 days ago.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you I would still like an answer so I will wait
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 20 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 16 days ago.

Thanks! This is definitely not a George Condo (born 1957) the American artist who creates works inspired by Picasso. his paint handling is much different than seen on this painting - with flat surfaces that are smooth rather than textured as seen here - but also, you can reach out to his dealer directly, Hauser and wirth, see: https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/george-condo-hauser-wirth-1202675391/

He did not have a school and gallery assistances would be prohibited from signing his name to their own works, so this appears to be a fanciful creation.

Again, thank you and let me know if I may be of any further help with this item.