Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have some miniature vases which I believe may be satsuma

Hi. I have some miniature vases which I believe may be satsuma ware. How can I tell please. Richard
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Are there any unique markings or symbols on the vase?
Customer: Yes, oriental symbols on the base
JA: Do you know how old the vase is? What condition is it in?
Customer: Good condition and circa late 19th/early 20th century.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of!

Welcome to justanswer.com!

My screen name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question.

Please add photos of the item and marks, labels, or writing if the piece has them.

If you are on a computer, please use the blue document with up arrow symbol or paper clip
by the SEND

to browse your device for a photo.

On the mobile phone, upload them to this chat.

Best Regards,

Rarewares

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Rarewares. They are a pair of vases (12cm tall). A friend thought they may be Satsuma ware, but I'm not sure if they are Japanese or Chinese. An ancestor was a sea captain working in the far east at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries, and I belive he brought them back from his travels. I have uploaded photos for your information. Richard

This is a pair 1880 to 1912 Meiji period of Japanese earthenware mirror-image Satsuma vases with marks on the bottom indicating "left" and "right" (no maker marks)

valued at $300 for the pair.

Please click FIVE stars when you are prompted, thanks!

To ask another, click the words Ask a Question in red above my photo
and write "FOR RAREWARES" when you get to the area where you write.
~RAREWARES