joannad330
joannad330,
Experience:  Expert
112148115

I have a painting by KW. I want it valued for sale, We

I have a painting by KW. I want it valued for sale
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Is there any info on the back of the painting, or a certificate of authenticity?
Customer: We bought it around 15 years ago. On back there is a note that it was purchased from a gallery in Bath in the 70s
JA: What condition is the painting in?
Customer: It's old framed in gold. Needs a bit tlc. Backed with wood. Can send photos
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I don't know much about it. Except its signed KW

Hello. I am Joanna, your expert. Can you send me images of the painting? Front, back, and signature. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
File attached (4VQ1Q5T)

Thank you for the images. I amworking on your question.

So I presume the medium is oil on board or canvas. It is painted in a post-impressionistic style. The back tells me that it might be from 1940-1960. The gilded frame is in very good condition (which is rare). I think the artist K W is a prominent British painter Sir Kyffin Williams (1918-2006). His subject matter was usually a landscape,  and he painted in a very similar style, loose brushwork, post-impressionism, chunky forms. The signature is very simialar. Now if this is his painting, we are talking about £5000 and more. I would suggest you to take your painting to the prominent auction house, and let them examine first hand if this is genuine Sir K.Williams.

I hope this answers your question. Thank you for using Just Answer. Truly lovely painting. Joanna